ARRIVE At 8.30am. Please don’t be late.
The Patrol Captain is to allocate patrol members to carry out the following:
- Read paperwork from previous patrol (ie, patrol, radio and IRB logs)
- Check and place rescue equipment on the beach. Minimum 2 x rescue tubes and 2 x rescue boards
- IRB driver and Crewperson to prepare IRB for patrol duty and ensure backup boat is needed if necessary. Fill in IRB log book.
- Check 4WD fuel before transporting IRB to water’s edge. Only members with a driver’s licence, permission of the Patrol Captain and have completed the ATV proficiency are permitted to drive the 4WD. Use “P plates if required.
- Assess the surf conditions and determine the flagged location.
- Erect power craft signs. The IRB must be launched between these.
- Check and put patrol gear into patrol van/4WD and transport it to the beach.
- You will need:
- 2 x red/yellow flags Portable first aid kit
- 2 x blue flags
- Stretcher and spinal collar
- Black & White Flags
- Oxy Viva & Defib
- Signalling flags
- Loud hailer
- Shark alarm flag
- At least 2 whistles
- Rescue Boards
- Bum Bags
- Swim fins
- 3 x Radios
- Patrol log book
- 2 x portable radios waterproof bags – Perform a radio check on all radios.
- Record any problems in radio log book
- Sign on with Surfcom
- Perform routine check of oxy-viva equipment (including bottle level)
- Check adequate supplies in first aid kit. Notify first aid officer if missing
- Patrol captain only to fill in and oversee signing of patrol log book.
- Once flags are up position rescue equipment where it may be required (ie, near patrol flags and strong rips)
- Patrol captain to ensure patrol members are wearing caps/hats and full uniform